Friday, June 26, 2015

Block 4

Finished with block 4-Paper Pinwheel. I had the Patriotic block finished on Tuesday. I had to wait for my next day off to do the scrappy block which was today. This one was easy and didn't take much time.

I am going to see if I can sneak in another set before we go on vacation July 1st. If not I will get to block 5 when we get back on July 7th.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Baby Afghan finally finished

WOW it has been almost 2 years since I told my mom I would finish this for her. See original post here. It was suppose to be for my niece but it looks like it will go to my nephew instead. He will be born on July 14, 2015. 

I know the pictures are terrible. I ended up taking the whole thing apart and starting over. My mom is left handed and I am right handed. It looked really funny and I couldn't get it to look right. I had told my brother that it was taking longer than I thought because the arthritis in my left hand was giving me problems. I was going to make it bigger but He said that he having another baby so I just finished it up. 

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Unknown Origin 2

Over a year ago I bought 2 bags of quilt blocks at a second hand store.  I love rescuing quilt blocks. I think every block should be made into something that will be loved and used. This one will be used for camping or at the lake or I might just take it with me when we travel. Maybe I should name it Traveling Quilt. Anyways, I made a quilt for a good friend out of one of the bags of blocks (see here) and the other I put away. Well I pulled them out the other day to see what I could do with them. There were 14, 12 inch blocks. Base color black but random solid colors. I think they were left over blocks from several quilts. This is what I have come up with so far. Looking through my stash for border fabric. 

Please let me know what you think or have any ideas about border fabric colors.

I am going to make a kennel quilt for my cat's carrier out of the 2 blocks that were left over.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Block 3

Block 3 is called Puddle. Finished them last night. This one went together pretty easy once I got the measurements right. Somehow I messed up on measuring and got a 8" block.

Remeasured, cut and sewed and here they are.

I have days off on Thursday and Friday. Hopefully I will have some time for the next block. 

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Block 2

Block 2 is Turkey Tracks. I actually finished them on June 10th, but it has been so crazy at work that I have been too tired to do anything. 

I have a bunch of different candy skulls and Day of the Dead material scraps, so I decided to incorporate them into my scrappy blocks.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My Personal Quilt Block Challenge

I have been collecting Quilt-Pro SystemsBlock of the Day blocks for almost a year. I have finally decided to start making them. I have challenged myself to make 2 blocks of each pattern. One in patriotic colors and one from my scraps. The blocks are 6 inches finished. This much smaller than I am use to. That's why it is a personal challenge for me. I have learned that starch is my friend when working with small pieces and I have to use a smaller stitch when sewing them together.

Here is the first block of my challenge. It is called Rolling Pin.

Made an adjustment on the order I sewed the square in a square. The second one was more accurate.

Here they are side by side.

I am going to try and do one pattern a week. 

Monday, June 8, 2015

16-patch Baby quilt

My manager is having another baby. This one is going to be a boy. I have so many things to finish before Christmas that I don't have time to design a quilt for her. Then I remembered that I have 2 rows and a bunch of blocks (UFO's) that I could use. They are in boy colors. So I started sewing them together. I got 3 strip rows sewn together before I noticed that I had sewn them together wrong.

This is what they should have looked like.

This is a picture of the 3 rows sewn together. I then sewed these to the 2 rows that I had done awhile back, before I put the project away. This is what I saw.

I forgot to check when doing the other rows, which color block was in the left hand corner. So I got my seam ripper out again and took apart the 2 rows and redid them. All in all the quilt came out nice.


What should have taken me a day to complete took 2 because I rushed into it. I should have taken the time to make sure everything was in the right order before I began. 

Linking up to Savvy Southern Style